Knowing how to apply UPRT knowledge and skills during the unlikely event of an in-flight upset is necessary to mitigate loss of control in flight.
Comprehensive UPRT at the highest standards for your corporate jet pilots
UPRT is a life-saving training program that prepares the pilot to anticipate and properly react to in-flight situations before they become critical. It also helps them recover in the event that the aircraft enters an upset.
Corporate jets operate at the same high standards as commercial airliners, and often benefit from very high performance (altitude, Mach number).
The demands on corporate crews include round-the clock operations from airports of all sizes, and flight at very high altitudes. In some cases, single-pilot operations are also common.
Like commercial jets, corporate aviation operations are also susceptible to high loss-of-control statistics.
IDT’s Business Aviation UPRT caters specifically to these needs.
• Training your pilots to recognise and prevent Loss of Control In-flight (LOC-I)
• Delivery of airplane-specific UPRT Training Program compliant with
• Regulations, including dedicated academics and skills training
• Training your instructors to teach UPRT in the most effective way
• Creation of regulatory documents for submission to your CAA, including the Operations Training Manual (OM-D)
Training Your Instructors and Pilots
Delivering a comprehensive UPRT course accurately to each pilot is critical.
IDT provides exhaustive UPRT train-the-trainer courses which include both academics (eLearning/classroom) and practical simulator training. We can also train your pilots directly. Simulator courses can be provided in-person at your desired training location. Alternatively, these can be provided by means of two-way video link.
IDT directly trains your instructors on the proper delivery of UPRT using our type-specific training program:
• How to conduct each exercise
• How to assess the trainee’s knowledge and skills
• How to operate the simulator within its capabilities and limits
• IDT also audits your instructors when they deliver the training
The IDT Skypointer iPad application integrates the entire training program into a central location. The Skypointer Business Aviation Edition is tailored to include the program of each customer, including type-specific lesson plans. The application guides pilots on the techniques required to maintain safety under all flight conditions:
• Flight fundamentals explained from the pilot’s perspective
• Causes of Loss of Control accidents/incidents in business jets
• Human Factors of UPRT
• Outline & briefings of IDT’s Modular UPRT Program (see sample slide)
• Type-specific training exercise lesson plans for instructors
• Knowledge validation, plus quizzes in all chapters
• Type-specific exercises are available for several business jets, or can be adjusted accordinglyUPRT Ground School
UPRT Ground School
IDT conducts UPRT ground school as required, delivered at your training location. Scalable to small or large groups.
• The Pilot Ground School includes:
• Introduction & background to UPRT
• Loss of Control causes & examples, safety review
• Aerodynamics of modern transport aircraft, including;
– Angle of Attack
– Flight Controls
– High-Altitude Aerodynamics
• G-load awareness
• Energy management
• Flight path management
• Recognition and recovery from upsets
• Human Factors, startle management, CRM
The UPRT Instructors Ground School curriculum class includes:
• Competency-Based Training and Assessment of UPRT
• Simulator-based training: device capabilities and limitations
• Avoidance of negative training transfer
• Review of the UPRT training program
The integration of knowledge with actual skills closes the loop in UPRT training
IDT’s qualified UPRT training program consists of a training exercises library. Business-jet type-specific lesson plans are available for:
– Awareness & Prevention Exercises
– Maneuvers-Based Recovery Exercises
– Scenario-Based Exercises
In business aviation, particular emphasis is placed on your specific cockpit indications and high-altitude operations
In developing and validating the Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes associated with UPRT, the student is systematically exposed to the training elements, rapidly developing the basic understanding that is later applied to recoveries, and finally validated in scenarios. Scenarios become increasingly type-specific as the Modules progress
Operator Initial UPRT (4 Modules):
• Module 1 – The essentials: energy, angle-of-attack, flight controls,
• Module 2 – Load factors, energy recovery, stall fundamentals
• Module 3 – Initial Recovery techniques
• Module 4 – Advanced Recovery training, startle management
Recurrent UPRT (3 Modules)
Recurrent Modules are designed to streamline the follow-on training of your pilots while meeting the standards and regulations
UPRT during COVID-19
Given the current situation, including travel restrictions, IDT offers three methods of training for UPRT:
- eLearning of all academic content through our Skypointer training platform (on iPad or LMS)
- Bespoke webinar workshops to address the basic training needs for UPRT
- Remote training through a high-bandwidth camera and data transfer system